California plans to sue Trump Administration for federalizing National Guard 

Published on

Photo credit: X / Brian Tyler Cohen

CALIFORNIA – Governor Gavin Newsom announced June 9, plans to sue the Trump Administration for federalizing National Guard and deploying them to protests that erupted over Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids that took place last week.

Newsom said President Donald Trump flamed the fires and illegally acted to federalize the National Guard.

“The order he signed doesn’t just apply to CA. It will allow him to go into any state and do the same thing. We’re suing him,” said Newsom in a post on X.

National Guard troops and local law enforcement clashed with anti-ICE protesters over the weekend near the Metropolitan Detention Center in Downtown Los Angeles.

Law enforcement responded with tear gas and flashbang grenades after some demonstrators began throwing concrete and bottles.

Trump federalized National Guard under Title 10

ICE conducted raids at multiple locations – including Home Depot and a business in the downtown Fashion District, resulting in the arrest of about 44 undocumented immigrants.

Anti-ICE demonstrations began following the raids.

In response, Trump federalized the National Guard, bypassing state authority, and ordered 2,000 troops to Los Angeles under Title 10 authority.

When operating under Title 10 of the U.S. Code, National Guard members are considered part of the federal government.

California attorney General Rob Bonta said they have determined that there is no basis for the President’s federalization of the National Guard and deploying it to LA.

The statute says that the President can deploy the National Guard if there is a rebellion. There is no rebellion. That the President can deploy the National Guard if there’s an invasion – there’s no invasion. That the President of the United States can deploy the National Guard if they cannot execute the laws of the United States. That is not an issue either,” said Bonta on a Zoom call.

Serious breach of state sovereignty’

On Sunday, Newsom formally requested the Trump Administration to rescind their deployment of troops in Los Angeles county and return them to his command. 

In the letter, Newsom’s office said the deployment was a serious breach of state sovereignty, while simultaneously depriving the State from deploying these personnel and resources where they are truly required.

spot_img

Latest articles

California expands mortgage relief to one year; funds limited

CALIFORNIA – The CalAssist Mortgage Fund announced February 12 an expansion of mortgage relief...

Suspected civil war-era cannonballs close Apple Valley Police Station temporarily

APPLE VALLEY – The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said February 12 that a...

California urges residents to search $15 Billion in unclaimed property

CALIFORNIA – State controller Malia M. Cohen and assemblymember Avelino Valencia announced Assembly House...

Luxury retailer holds up to 70% off liquidation sale amid bankruptcy

CALIFORNIA — Dozens of Saks Off 5th stores in California and nationwide are holding...

More like this

Adelanto man awarded $27.35 Million after jury finds deputy’s shooting unjustified

ADELANTO – A unanimous federal jury awarded $27.35 million to Steffon Barber after a...

California bill would prevent ICE agents from holding state or local public jobs

CALIFORNIA – Assemblymember Mark Gonzalez introduced legislation February 6 in a Facebook post that...

Victorville City Council opposes expansion of drug and alcohol facility near schools

VICTORVILLE – At a special meeting on Jan. 8, the Victorville City Council adopted...