![]()
CALIFORNIA — The CEO of the agency building California’s high-speed rail project has taken a voluntary leave of absence after his arrest earlier this month over domestic violence allegations.
Ian Choudri, 57, leader of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, was arrested on Feb. 4 in Folsom, according to local police.
Prosecutors later declined to file charges, citing insufficient evidence and no visible injuries.
Choudri’s attorney said the chief executive chose to take “a few days” away from his role to allow space for his family to process the events. “He remains committed to his work,” the lawyer added in a statement.
The leave also gives the rail authority and state transportation officials time to independently review the situation, an agency spokesperson said.
The authority emphasized its ongoing commitment to transparency and accountability, noting that work on the rail project will continue without interruption.
Expected to return to duties
Choudri was appointed to lead the high speed rail project in 2024, with a mandate to jump-start progress after years of delays and cost overruns.
The effort, originally intended to link San Francisco and Los Angeles by 2020, has faced rising costs that could top $120 billion, with only a portion of the Central Valley segment expected to open by 2032.
The arrest was first reported this week by KCRA-TV in Sacramento.
Despite the ongoing investigation, Choudri’s absence is described as brief, and he is expected to return to his duties once the review is complete.
RELATED: California nears high-speed rail track installation, Newsom says